We had a couple hours before the next procedure and I was continuing to try to get my afternoon shift at the daycare covered. In my head, I needed to be at the next appointment for my own sanity. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get it off and the guilt began to set in. I know I can't possibly be there for every appointment, but it made me feel like the worst person ever to not be there with Chris yesterday--especially on his birthday. I felt better when his friend offered to pick him up afterwards, but I still wish I could have been there for him. It turned out that they were running behind and he was just finishing when I got off work so I could pick him up after all.
I'm not sure what I was expecting the results of the endoscopy to be. The pessimistic side of me figured it would be something bad (of course), but I also had this little glimmer of hope that it was just an ulcer. My pessimistic side sucks, because it was right. Cancer is in his stomach--fuck! So far, all the emotions I had been feeling were sadness and anxiety, but now I was pissed. I know it came across that I was mad at Chris and I feel really horrible that that's what it looked like. I was (and am) mad at the cancer. What did Chris do to deserve this? Life was just getting really good.
When I deal with things I tend to do it internally, at least at first. I don't want to talk, I don't want to be hugged and I don't want to hear that "it's going to be all right"...I just need time to process. It took me a good hour before I semi-snapped out of my funk. The rest of my funk eventually disappeared after a good cry through the season finale of Glee--hey, no judging. The rational part of me knows that I can't continue to be this anxious for the next however long, but it's hard when it's happening to someone you love so much and there's really nothing you can do about it. I can't control if and how the cancer spreads, I can't control if the medicine works and I can't control how Chris deals with it all. I can, however, control how I deal with it and that's something that is going to be a continual process. I've got to keep on my "bright and shiny" face especially in front of Chris because he doesn't need to see me scared or feel guilty that I'm so anxious. My "dark & twisty" side will come out at times, but I've got to do my best to keep it at bay.
As I finish off this post, I should mention that one of the main reasons I have chosen to write about this experience is to help anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation. When I was looking for a blog from a perspective like mine, I couldn't really find anything recent or anything I could relate to. This blog is not going to be glamorous and may paint me as not a great person sometimes, but it's honest and real and I hope it helps someone who needs to feel comforted by the fact that they are not alone.
Until next time,
Kaitlin
Kaitlin, I remember a time when you were probably about two years old and your Uncle Jamie and I took you to Beacon Hill Park before we were married. We thought it was great fun to let you do all the stuff your Mom and Dad wouldn't let you do and we all had a blast! I'll never forget the moment when I looked up to see this angelic, delicate-appearing little girl come barreling down the slide head-first with a grin, totally without trepidation. We did manage to catch you before you got a concussion, but I see now that that little girl has grown into a beautiful, caring young woman who is still approaching the world in the same way, head-on! Good for you girl, I think your blog will be more helpful than you know. We just wanted to tell you that we are thinking of you guys and sending all our love.
ReplyDeleteUncle Jamie, Auntie Kim, Ethan, Lila, and Aidan xoxo